Friday, June 10, 2011

Bonus Tracks at the Hokkaido University of Education

I was lucky enough to extend my stay in Hokkaido by one week, and I would like to thank both Universities very much for this opportunity. For the Hokkaido University of Education, it has meant extra work for Oga sensei and her staff.  My homestay is helping me as well, and deserve a special thank you as wefor putting up with me for another week. From the University of Calgary, I'd like to thank both Gavin Peat and Jim Paul for trusting in me to help preserve and support this exchange.
Me and professor Yorozuya at the Ainosato campus
Anyways, I'd like to tell you what I did yesterday!! :-) Konno Tomoyo - our group's friend and translator for much of our time in Sapporo - invited me to an education class for aspiring English teachers. The professor, Yorozuya sensei, was interested to meet me, and we ended having a drink in his office after class. It only took about 10 minutes to realize how much we have in common, particularly in English educational policy and practice in both Japan and Korea. Professor Yorozuya is very highly respected and regarded by many faculty and students as an expert in Japan's English educational reform, so the chance to meet him and speak about current issues was one I couldn't pass up. Hopefully, I'll be able to meet him again on Monday at the campus. During our conversation, he showed me pictures of his visits to Calgary, and photos of him with Dr. David Jardine and Dr. Jim Field. When I saw these pictures of him with my own professors from last year, my jaw nearly hit the floor of his office, and I couldn't stop talking. This is a common problem for me - as many people know - but these photos only made my condition worse! hahahah
When professor Yorozuya found out that I would be teaching at the Ainosato Higashi Elementary school, which I did today, he started to look for students of his who could accompany me and record my lesson(s) at the school. This was incredibly flattering, and the nervousness I felt only went away today, when I found out that he wasn't able to find anyone, since all the students had class, and he himself had a busy schedule. I will hopefully have time on Monday to show him what I did, and also will write a separate post soon about my day at Ainosato Higashi! Pictures coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hope this opportunity meant a lot to you! (*^^*)

    ReplyDelete